Contacts and Recommended Action
WHAT YOU CAN DO AS A HOMEOWNER…
- Review the Zoning Criteria and Definitions used by the County for deciding zoning actions.
- Contact your North Merritt Island Homeowners Association (NMI HOA) District Representative and/or the Zoning Chairpersons to express your opinion on rezoning requests. (see table below for contact info.)
Current zoning requests are listed in the Courtenay Notes (the NMI HOA monthly newsletter) and this website under “Current Zoning/Land Use Requests.”
|1||From Barge Canal on both sides of Courtenay to Hall Rd.||Bill Hodge – email: email@example.com
|2||W. Hall Rd. to & including W. Crisafulli Rd. & west side of Courtenay||Iain McFarland||321-393-5103|
|3||E. Hall Rd. to & including E. Crisafulli & east side of Courtenay||Jack Ratterman – email: firstname.lastname@example.org||321-452-9989|
|4||N. of Crisafulli to KSC||Chris Cook – email: email@example.com + John Schantzen – email: JSchantzen@aol.com||321-453-7022
|All||Zoning Chairpersons||Kim Smith||321-453-3323
- Attend as many of the local meetings below that will be discussing your zoning item of interest as possible. To find out if your zoning item of interest is on the agenda, select the links in the table.
|NAME||MISSION||MEETING TIME||MEETING PLACE||AGENDA|
|N.M.I. HOA||To protect the interests of the property owners by hearing all sides and making a recommendation to the Advisory Board.||1st Monday of month*/
|St. Luke’s Church
5555 N. Tropical Tr.
|N.M.I. Special District Advisory Board||To conduct a preliminary public hearing & make a recommendation to the LPA, P&Z or County Commission||2nd Thursday of month**
|Brevard Co. Service Complex
2575 N. Courtenay
|County Commissioner Zoning||To conduct a final public hearing & make a final determination on a zoning action.||1st Thursday of month
2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
* Meetings are usually moved to the 1st Tuesday, if Monday is a legal holiday.
** Meetings are only scheduled when there are applications pending.
*** Those wishing to speak must fill out a speaker card found on a table at the rear of the room.
Homeowners are encouraged to use the general zoning information provided on this website as well as these Helpful Links to gain a better understanding of the request being made and potential impacts. It is also a good idea to discuss any concerns with other potentially impacted neighbors and your community HOA Board, if applicable.
- If you can’t attend any meetings, then you may also express your sentiments in writing. A written letter carries much weight in decision-making. Write a letter of opinion to (referencing the Zoning ID name and/or number, if possible):
Commissioner Bryan Lober
2575 N. Courtenay Parkway
Merritt Island, FL 32953
Phone: (321) 454 -6601
Brevard County Board of County Commissioners
Planning & Zoning Office
2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Bldg A
Viera, Florida 32940
Phone: (321) 633-2070
Fax (321) 633-2152
(Note: All correspondence must include your name and street address, if you want the Boards (Advisory or Commission) involved to be able to consider the information you provide. When corresponding regarding an item on a public hearing agenda, please include enough information to identify the item. They suggest you include the agenda date, the name of the property owner and the item’s agenda number on your correspondence. *All correspondence to and from County Staff are included in public records.